I've been involved in a project to deploy Oracle Grid Control recently, and thought I would share my list of reference documents. Even for a relatively simple deployment, there's a lot of reading to be done. I'm sure this surprises no one. I don't claim to have compiled an exhaustive list of documents and patches. Depending on your platform and deployment architecture, you may have more or less (probably more) research to do. Nevertheless, if you're in the early stages of planning a Grid Control deployment project, perhaps this link collection will help you get started. As time goes on, these references may become less relevant. Patches in particular can have a ridiculously short half-life, but at least the
Metalink My Oracle Support documents tend to be updated in place rather than superseded.
Before I launch into the long list, here's a high-level view of the system I've been deploying, to help you determine if your project is more or less (again, probably more) complicated than mine:
- 2-node Grid Control system (1 repository, 1 OMS)
- Linux x86 for repository and OMS
- Repository database version 10.2.0.4
- OMS and agent versions 10.2.0.4 (sometimes referred to as Grid Control 10gR4)
- Small-ish (less than 500) set of monitored targets
- Mix of Linux x86, Windows, and Linux x86-64 targets, predominantly Linux x86
- Some E-Business Suite targets, with Applications Management Pack licensed
Metalink Reference Documents
- Note 555577.1: Oracle Database Patch Set Notes 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.4) Patch Set 3 for Linux x86
- A good, quick read for the 10.2.0.1->10.2.0.4 upgrade.
- Note 359145.1: Impact of 2007 USA daylight saving changes on the Oracle database
- According to the matrix in this note, RDBMS version 10.2.0.4 contains the necessary fixes for current US DST, so no additional patching required for the repository database
- Note 735216.1: Critical Patch Update October 2008 Availability Information for Oracle Database and Fusion Middleware Products
- Also applicable to Application Tier components, as the title suggests.
- Note 394448.1: Getting Started with the Application Management Pack for Oracle E-Business Suite (Releases 2.0 and 2.0.1)
- A short overview document, most useful for its links to the Oracle Application Management Pack for Oracle E-Business Suite Installation Guide, Oracle Application Management Pack for Oracle E-Business Suite User's Guide
- Note 412044.1: Application Management Pack for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 2.0 and 2.0.1 Troubleshooting Guide
- Probably won't need this, since most deployments go completely smoothly and troubleshooting is rarely required, right?
- Note 406982.1: Cloning Oracle Applications Release 12 with Rapid Clone
- AMP installation requires the latest Rapid Clone patches. This is a quick way to get links to them. If you're running 11i instead of R12, be sure to review the relevant document for that release.
- Note 412431.1: Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Certification Checker
- You could, of course, just use the standard certification matrix to figure out what versions of the Grid Control components are certified for your platform, but this document is much more concise, not to mention prettier.
- Note 457792.1: DST Compliance for Grid Control OMS, Repository and Agents: Checks and Updates
- Note 409225.1: Impact of DST changes on Grid Control Release 2 - Preparation and Patching guidelines
- Note 471451.1: DST 2007/2008 Oracore files Version for Grid Control Components
- The preceding three notes will help to untangle the Daylight Savings Time patching requirements for the various components of Grid Control. The highly-compressed bottom line: Getting all the components to version 10.2.0.4 will save a lot of pain.
- Note 468959.1: Enterprise Manager Grid Control Known Issues
- Note 602750.1: ConfigureGC.pl Reports - Invalid Username/Password.
- I got bitten by this issue when performing the software-only OMS installation.
- Note 578715.1: How to Install Grid Control 10.2.0.4.0 with a New Database using the Software-only Option
- Useful reference for "existing database" option as well, as as a supplement to the installation docs.
- Note 414989.1: How to Fix Generic_MOM_Managed_Host In Pending Status?
- The Note refers to OMS version 10.2.0.3, but I also encountered this issue when deploying version 10.2.0.4
- Note 437078.1: Problem : iAS Discovery/Monitoring Fails If Agent Is Installed Under Another OS User Than iAS
- This topic is also addressed in the Grid Control release notes, but this Note is more comprehensive.
Application Server 10g
- Note 566418.1: How to Recover OUI to 10.2.0.3/10.2.0.4 after Applying IAS 10.1.2.2 Patchset on Grid Control OMS Home
- Upgrading the OMS IAS software to 10.1.2.2 is necessary to meet the minimum version requirements for the latest CPU patches. Unfortunately, performing that upgrade downgrades the Oracle Universal Installer in the OMS ORACLE_HOME. Whoopsie. This Note describes how to fix it.
- Note 329361.1: Oracle Application Server 10g Release 2 (10.1.2) Support Status and Alerts
- Useful reference for finding 10gAS patchsets.
- Note 415222.1: Steps to Maintain Oracle Application Server 10g Release 2 (10.1.2)
- Relevant for upgrading OMS ORACLE_HOME to 10.1.2.2. Reference "Step 3: Apply Latest Oracle Application Server 10.1.2.2 Patchset (Patch 4960210)."
- Note 280116.1: How To Reset Ias_admin User Password On AS10G On Unix If The Old Password Is Missing?
- ...or, "if you can't be bothered to look up the value of the default password after a silent install, since you're just going to change it anyway."
- Note 270516.1: How To Change The SYSMAN Password Used For Grid Control
- This information can also be found in the Installation and Configuration Guide on OTN (see below).
- Note 436299.1: Common reasons for OUI failures on the MS Windows platforms
- I work primarily on Linux, but every now and then, I get an "opportunity" to install Oracle software on Windows. The little issues listed in this Note are worth reviewing before installing a Grid Control monitoring agent on Windows.
- Oracle® Enterprise Manager Grid Control Release Notes for Linux and Microsoft Windows 10g Release 4 (10.2.0.4.0)
- Although the release notes state that RDBMS 10.2.0.4 is not a certified repository version, the more-up-to-date Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control Certification Checker refutes this.
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control Installation and Basic Configuration 10g Release 4 (10.2.0.4)
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Advanced Configuration 10g Release 4 (10.2.0.4.0)
- See Section 5.3 for configuring integration w/ Single Sign-On
- 10g R2 Management Agent Deployment Best Practices
Patches tend to be superseded fairly rapidly, CPUs in particular. The following are presented primarily to provide an idea for the amount of patching to expect. Be sure to check the documentation to verify relevance.
- 6809246: APPLICATIONS MANAGEMENT PACK V2.0.2 UPDATE FOR E-BUSINESS SUITE
- 5489352: EM PLUGIN V2 FOR ORACLE APPLICATIONS
- 6510214: R12.AD.A.DELTA.4
- 6776948: R12 RAPIDCLONE CONSOLIDATED FIXES JUL/2008
- 6874927: R12 Interoperability Patch for AMP 2.0.2
Grid Control repository database
- 6810189: 10.2.0.4.0 PATCH SET FOR ORACLE DATABASE SERVER
- 6880880: Universal Installer: Patch OPatch 10.2
- Be sure to download the 10.2 version!
- 7375644: MLR BUG FOR 10.2.0.4 FOR CPUOCT2008
- Oct2008 CPU for Repository database
Grid Control management server
- 4700543: SSL SESSIONS FAIL DURING NEGOTIATION
- Network client on OMS server, per Note 415222.1
- 4960210: PLACEHOLDER BUG FOR AS/DS 10G R2 PATCH SET 2 10.1.2.2
- At this time, Version 10.1.2.2 is the maximum 10gAS release supported for the Grid Control OMS, and the minimum supported for application of the Oct2008 CPU patchset.
- 6342108: EBS DASHBOARDS FAIL TO RENDER, GENERATE STACK IN OC4J LOG
- Be sure to grab 10.2.0.4 version
- 5861907: IAS 10.1.2.2 PATCHSET UPDATES ORACLEHOMEPROPERTIES.XML WITH WRONG ARU_ID & ARU_I
- Required to enable opatch to apply additional patches once 10gAS ORACLE_HOME has been updated to 10.1.2.2
- 2617419: OPATCH FOR EM
- For patching OMS ORACLE_HOME. Select 10.1.0.2 release when downloading
- 7040389: S/W ONLY AND CONFIG LATER METHOD- WEBSITE TARGET NOT CONFIG AND ONLINE HELP
- 6640752: OUI CD PLACE HOLDER ON ARU FOR 10204
- Whoopsies. Check Note 566418.1 for details
- 7379121: MLR ON TOP OF 10.1.2.2 FOR CPUOCT2008
- Oct2008 CPU for OMS tier
- 6606233: PERF: INEFFICIENT QUERY TO CALCULATE TOTAL NUMBER OF NEW POLICY VIOLATIONS
- Be sure to download 10.2.0.4 version.
- 3731593: PATCHSETS FOR ENTERPRISE MANAGER GRID CONTROL