Oracle Instant Client on OS X Lion: 32-bit only, for now

This is already making the rounds, but I figured I'd add my voice to the chorus, to maximize the likelihood that people find the information that they need.

If you're an ORACLENERD and a relatively early adopter of new versions of Mac OS X, you might notice that the 64-bit version of the OS X Instant Client does not work under OS X Lion. Attempts to use the 64-bit sqlplus binary and libraries result in a segmentation fault. Boo. The only known solutions for command-line sqlplus from Lion at the this point seem to be use the 32-bit client, or stay on Snow Leopard. We're still in the early days of general availability for Lion, so perhaps another solution will surface.

I suspect that this doesn't mean good things for the full-blown database install, but I haven't checked that out yet (and I don't know when/if I will; my native OS X install of 10g had been gathering dust for quite a while, and did not make the move to my new MBP).

References:

5 Comments

1. Posted 9 August 2011 at 7:09 | Permalink

Thanks for the tip - 32b installed fine on 10.7. Much appreciated.

2. Posted 9 August 2011 at 12:08 | Permalink

Glad to help, CJ. :)

Regards,

John P.

3. Posted 10 August 2011 at 9:11 | Permalink

Hi John-

I am going to link to this post from my website as I am writing up a similar "how-to". Thanks again and full-credit goes to you for helping me out.

Best,
    CJ

4. CY
    Posted 1 December 2011 at 20:01 | Permalink

Until Oracle fixes 64-bit instantclient, we can prepare 32-bit perl binary for DBD::Oracle. What I did:

sudo mkdir /usr/local/bin
    sudo lipo -thin i386 -output /usr/local/bin/perl5.12.i386 /usr/bin/perl5.12
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/perl5.12.i386 /usr/local/bin/perl

Now, /usr/local/bin/perl is 32-bit (arch i386).

CY

5. CY
    Posted 31 March 2013 at 13:50 | Permalink

Oracle released Instant Client for Mac OS X (Intel x86).

One Trackback

1. By Installing sqlplus, rlwrap on OS X Lion 10.7 on 10 August 2011 at 11:26

[...] A little googling turned out some interesting results worth sharing. First off, Mac 10.7 is currently incompatible with the 64-bit version of the Oracle instant client. Credit goes to the Only 4 Left blog for pointing me in the right direction. [...]